Breaking News

Fake soldier meets his waterloo

Nigerian army

A 48-year-old man, identified as Mohammed Sali, who had been parading himself as an Army Major has been arrested by men of the Nigerian Police in Delta State,.

The suspect had reportedly been defrauding unsuspecting members of the public, including security operatives within Warri metropolis and its environs.
 the suspect, who often carried out his antics in mufti, had been moving around claiming he was attached to the intelligence unit of the Nigerian Army, specifically assigned to the Niger Delta region as an undercover agent.
It was learnt that he had operated in the region particularly in Warri area in the last four years within which he had established a close knitted cartel that he uses to extort money and enjoy the patronages of his victims.
It was further gathered that the fake Army Major had used his position to successfully defrauded high profile individuals and top government officials as well top ranking security personnel, especially Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) who he often brainwashed to doing his bidding as a senior military officer.
Luck, however, ran out on him when he had gone to the Eburumede Police Station in Okpe Local Government Area of the state to request the release of a suspect that was being investigated by the police.
Unknown to him that his fake identity had been uncovered, on sighting him at the police station as men and officers of the 3 Battalion, Effurun in Uvwie Local Government Area, were immediately contacted and arrested him.
The Army team, led by an Army Captain, on reaching the police station, demanded that Saki should identify himself and sensing that the soldiers had come for him personally, he denied the allegations of ever parading himself as an Army officer at any time.
He was immediately arrested and detained by the police for impersonation and fraud.
The Delta state Police Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Andrew Aniamaka, who confirmed the arrest of the suspect when contacted, on Tuesday, said the Command had directed that case be transferred to the state CID in Asaba for further investigations.

No comments